Map of Britten
Snape Maltings Concert Hall and Aldeburgh Music
Snape Maltings was a working maltings from 1854 to 1965. In 1966 Britten leased the largest maltings building on the site and the architects ARUP converted it into what is now one of the world’s best-loved concert halls, ready for the start of the 1967 Aldeburgh Festival, where it was opened by the Queen. It was damaged by fire in 1969 and restored for the 1970 Festival. The site is now the home of Aldeburgh Music, the organisation that has grown out of the Aldeburgh Festival, and has expanded to include two other venues – the Britten Studio and the Peter Pears Recital Room – and numerous rehearsal, workshop and artist spaces.